You have decided to use electronic signatures in your company. You know the benefits they bring, but wonder what I need to keep in mind when choosing an electronic signature provider? In this post, we tell you all the details.
Selecting the right provider will ensure that documents signed using electronic signatures can be used as evidence in court and that confidential information is securely stored.
Tips for choosing a reliable electronic signature provider
Tips you can follow when choosing an esignature provider are the following:
- Do some research on your provider. Nowadays, it is easy to find reliable information about any company with the internet, social networks, and forums. To get to know your electronic signature provider, visit their website and search other clients’ information to know their thoughts; besides, you must answer any doubts before making a final decision.
- Reliable signatory identification methods. A fundamental aspect of secure electronic signatures is to ensure that the methods used to identify the signatories are reliable. Digital identification is defined in Article 3, paragraph 1 of the eIDAS Regulation as follows:
“electronic identification” means the process of using a person’s identification data in electronic form that uniquely represents a natural or legal person or a natural person representing a legal person.
In this regard, the electronic signature provider must provide the technology required for the unequivocal identification of each signatory through biometric data or two-factor identification.
- Ease of integration with other applications. Integration of electronic signatures via APIs, and other tools, should be easy. This will integrate the contracting process into the usual tools used in your business.
- Easy to use. A difficult-to-use application will end up not being used, so your e-signature provider must bring an easy solution for both you and the document signatories. It is important that no application needs to be installed and that the signature can be done with any device (mobile, tablet or computer).
- Information about the signature process. The electronic signature provider will have to provide you with information on how the signature process is going: who has signed and who has not, when and if any document that needs to be attached is missing. These data can be used to send reminders to people who have not yet signed.
- Creating electronic documentary evidence. For the electronic signature to be used as evidence in court, the electronic signature provider must create documentary evidence, including all the data of the electronic signature process.
- Document integrity. The electronic signature provider must guarantee that the signed documents have not been tampered with after being signed to ensure the integrity of the documents. The signatories will not be able to deny that they signed the document.
- Documentation storage. During signature processes, documents are provided, and agreements are signed, and it is essential to have them at hand. Therefore, it is important that your electronic signature provider guarantees availability and provides you with a reliable document storage service. Furthermore, the documentation must be available for you to download at any time (both what has been signed and the attached documents and documentary evidence).
- Different methods of collecting the signature are available. Each signature process is different, and you should be able to choose between different methods for collecting the electronic signature. It may be a click of a button, a handwritten signature from a mobile phone, a signature with biometric data (facial features, voice or fingerprints, to name a few) or a signature with a One-Time Password (OTP).
- Pay per use. You might use your e-signature for one month to sign several documents, and the following month you use it only for one. To avoid being charged for something you don’t use, your e-signature provider must give you the possibility to pay per use, with no minimum consumption or monthly fees.
- The signature process can be customised. Your electronic signature provider should provide you with the means to tailor the signature process to your brand image so that your customers or signatories do not feel lost and build trust.
Therefore, choosing the right electronic signature provider is not only a matter of price but a process where you will have to consider the aspects mentioned here to make the use of electronic signatures a steady move towards the digitisation of your company. To test the electronic signature, you can do it free through Click & Sign by registering on its platform in a few simple and easy steps.