Currently, there are many companies in the logistics and transport sector. It is estimated that this type of companies employ more than 11 million people in Europe and represent around 14% of the European GDP. Today’s post is about the benefits of electronic signature in the logistics and transport sector.
Transportation and logistics were central to the market during the lockdown months, a fundamental element in providing essential services and keeping the global economy running. Furthermore, the industry faces several challenges arising from globalisation, the internationalisation of companies, industrial relocation and the rise of e-commerce. These aspects result in increased transport needs and longer transportation distances, which is a logistical challenge.
Benefits of electronic signature in the logistics and transport sector
Logistics and transport sectors carry out many transactions where electronic signatures are helpful since it is necessary to guarantee the authenticity and integrity of the documents handled (delivery notes, orders, invoices, etc.) and identify the signatories. The benefits of electronic signature in the logistics and transport sector are listed below:
They ensure a 100% digital signature process. A mobile phone is all you need to sign documents electronically.
- Greater efficiency. Delivery and collection processes for goods or products are streamlined because electronic signatures can be signed in seconds.
- Increased security. The advanced electronic signature brings total security to transactions.
- Promoting corporate social responsibility. Logistics and transport companies that use e-signatures boost their CSR by going paperless and reducing energy use.
- Tracking process. Electronic signature provider allows tracking of the entire signature process so that you know who has signed, when and which document.
- Use of the signed document as evidence in court. Should a dispute arise with a customer, supplier or partner, the logistics or transport company may use the electronically signed document as valid evidence in court.
- Time-saving. The electronic signature in the logistics sector helps companies in the sector reduce costs so that employees can focus on adding value to the company.
Legal framework for digital signatures in Europe
As previously mentioned, logistics and transport companies face the challenge of the globalisation of the companies they provide services to, and it is a great asset to have a common legal framework in Europe through the eIDAS Regulation. This Regulation applies to the electronic identification systems of the Member States and trusted service providers established in the European Union and regulates aspects such as the following in connection with electronic signatures:
- Types of electronic signature. Under the eIDAS Regulation, we can distinguish between three types of electronic signature: simple, advanced and qualified.
- Legal validity of electronic signatures. Article 25 of the eIDAS Regulation establishes that:
- An electronic signature shall not be denied legal effect and admissibility as evidence in legal proceedings solely because it is in an electronic signature or that it does not meet the requirements for qualified electronic signatures.
- A qualified electronic signature will have the same effects as a handwritten signature.
- A qualified electronic signature based on a qualified certificate issued for one Member State will be recognised as a qualified electronic signature in all other member states.
About advanced electronic signatures The advanced electronic signature, used by Click & Sign, has to meet a series of requirements established in Article 26 of the eIDAS Regulation, which are as follows:
- a) It is uniquely linked to the signer;
- b) it is capable of identifying the signatory;
- c) It is created using electronic signature creation data that the signatory can, with a high level of confidence, use under his sole control; and
- d) It is linked to the data signed therewith in such a way that any subsequent change in the data is detectable.
Click & Sign’s electronic signature meets all these requirements, providing the level of security that companies in the logistics and transport sector need.
Logistics and transportation companies need to drive their digital transformation, and the electronic signature is the tool that makes the difference and adds value to all company processes.